Saturday 5 January 2008

To bring you up to date

I thought I had better let you know where I am up to in my quest for international recognition.

I have always loved writing but never really took it seriously until August 2006 when I happened to spot a short story competition in my local paper, which I entered. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in that attempt, but I persevered, and fortunately, did not have long to wait. The second competition I entered was a micro fiction competition, and the jolly people over at Leaf Books (see helpful links) judged my entry 'Playground' Highly Commendable, and it was duly published in 'The Final Theory and Other Stories', which is available from Leaf Books or Amazon, and is well worth the measly few pennies it costs. Honest. I am not biased.

However, after the first flushes of success, despite continued efforts, my beginner's luck wore off. I entered many competitions in the following 12 months, including more Leaf competitions, Fish competitions, US and Australian contests. All without success. Sniff.

However, there was a light in the pitch. I submitted a very very very short story to one of the most unusual and interesting publications I have ever seen, namely The Orphan Leaf Review (http://jpwallis.co.uk/orphanleaf/). When I say short, the brief (geddit) was to write a story in 70 characters or less. It is harder than you think. Don't believe me? Try it. My submission, 'A Nasty Taste in the Mouth' was accepted by the editor and was included within issue seven of the magazine. Sadly, the magazine is on hiatus at the moment, I think due to the editor needing a break and some semblance of a life, but all issues can still be purchased from the site, if you fancy a more original read.

Anyway, I took a bit of a break last year. I was having a baby, which is good enough excuse for me, even if JK Rowling was criticised for the delay to the Harry Potter series due to her selfishly having not one but two babies. Until the end of last year I made only paltry submissions but am intending to make a concerted effort again this new year.

That isn't to say that I didn't get anywhere last year- I am currently waiting to hear whether another story has been accepted into the final list for a horror anthology. The story was short listed last year, so I have my fingers crossed, and anyone out there with spare fingers to cross- your help would be appreciated.

Next post will tell you what I am doing at the moment- and if you want to crib details of contests, that's fine by me- I am your humble servant in web searching for contests.

samxx

No comments: